Is is worth paying a 75% mark up on food instead of donating that money to someone who needs it? We decided, no.

December 11, 2013

Wow we are really far behind and have so much so share so buckle up my friends!  For Thanksgiving we went to Boise, the home of our very favorite Greek lunch stand.  This little place (The Gryro Shack) is so good that I have honestly found myself trying to make excuses to drive to Boise so I could eat there.  So now you understand how hard it was to be driving right past and not order feta fabulousness!  I asked my sister-in-law to pull off and take a quick picture and the succulent aroma almost did me in (carnivore,  much?).  Seriously smelled so good.  There was some guy in a truck who watched me take this picture who asked if the Shack and I needed a moment or two alone.....hahaha.  + $16.00

Monday night in our family is "Family Night".  We usually have a treat of some kind.  This last Monday the kids and I were out and about, rollin' in the mini when they asked what we were going to have for a treat.  It was a cold, snowy night and I was so tempted to take them to get a warm gooey treat from my favorite bakery.  I gotta say, December is the hardest month to stick to this gig.  So many excuses to go out and celebrate and treat yourself to deliciousness!  I was so tempted that when we got home I backed out of my driveway 2 times to go.  The second time I even made it 2 blocks away.  Then I said, "You know what, guys - let's just go home and make hot cocoa and donate the rest to the fund.", and waited for the tantrums to begin.  I had, however promised a fun treat that we never do together.  No crying, not even a whine.  My kids are 10, 8, 6 and 2 OK, that is a Christmas miracle!  
Boo-ya: + $10.00  eat it up, Santa.



I saved the best part for last.  We've had a donation sent to us in the mail for one-hundred dollars.  I mean:
one-HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!
I opened the letter and just started to cry.  It meant so much to the kids, too.  Thank you to everyone out there that has helped and sent encouraging emails and participated.  We know we are only doing a small act, but it helps to know that out there in the world sometimes it grows.
We love you!!!

us + $100 donation = $206. FRN TOTAL: $442 



1 comment:

Ashley and Aaron said...

I just read this post! This really has been such a good way to teach your kids the value of sacrifice...can't believe everyone stayed calm when the treat was cancelled!! A.Mazing.