Is is worth paying a 75% mark up on food instead of donating that money to someone who needs it? We decided, no.

November 1, 2015

Catching Up and Cashing In

OK, so we have a little catching up to do in the whole blog department....I wasn't too worried about posting because I wasn't sure if it mattered at all.  This year we started saving instead of eating out in September as usual, but the last time I told the kids, "We aren't going to eat there because we are doing Feed the Real Need" they kinda had a melt down.  "WHY are we even DOING this - we haven't made a single post!"  This was good and bad... it showed me that the blog really was a good idea, that even if my little family is the only one that reads it, it has value and makes it all real for us. The bad bit was that I am the Mom, the one in charge and I totally dropped the ball.  Here is a quick example of the small sacrifices we have made this fall:

 These are some of the restaurants we REALLY wanted to eat at but put the money in the fund instead.  That is both a little and a big thing.  It's little in the spectrum of humanitarian efforts, but harder than you'd think to actually do!  Like the day we passed up Tropical Smoothie CafĂ©.  I had been in the car for-e-ver.  School pick up, music lessons and gymnastics left us precious little time before heading to soccer.  Plus my husband was out of town.  That was the above-mentioned melt-down day.  Next I had a stay-cation with my 2 girls.  We found ourselves in Salt Lake on the very street of Elizabeth's Bakery.  What could be more fun than having tea time with my 2 little lovelies for lunch? Admittedly, I was VERY TEMPTED.  Luckily Gemma was there to tell me that buying a family a rabbit was more important than eating a scone.  I was still tempted but guilted into doing the right thing :)
We hope this inspires you to replace just one meal out for a donation to someone who needs more than a hamburger or a date night.  I am so proud of my family.  My husband happily runs errands with me instead of eating at restaurants for date night and my kids stay strong when I falter (I am the Hulk when my blood sugar is low).
Here's to YEAR FIVE of Feeding the Real Need!!!
+ $290.00


No comments: