Is is worth paying a 75% mark up on food instead of donating that money to someone who needs it? We decided, no.

August 21, 2011

Starting Somewhat Skimpy

                                   
Neil's car broke down the other day so we had an unexpected trip to Salt Lake City right at dinnertime. We had 35 minutes to burn while the car was repaired and very hungry kids. This was our first test. We were surrounded by restaurants and drive-throughs. I had actually already decided that, as long as we could eat for $10 or less as a family some 'convenience' foods would still be OK since I wouldn't be spending any more than I do on a typical meal that I cook - but the kids were excited to start our experiment, so we went to Smith's grocery store. We bought bagels, cream cheese, 3 Powerades, 2 apples and 3 bananas for $8.51 and had a picnic under a tree. A typical cheapskate dinner at a drive-through window would cost us $15.00. I have to admit that as I was announcing to the family that we were starting our fund with a whole, "...six dollars and forty-nine cents!", it was a little disheartening. Was it worth it? We did this for $6.49? But I have decided that I am not going to be discouraged just because I'm not going to raise much money at a time. As Mother Theresa said, " We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop."
It's true that someone who typically eats out every day would have much more success than us, and it's true that $6.49 is not much, but we've decided that a little is better than none. That $6.49 is full of love and I'd rather sit under a tree and eat an apple than in my car with a cheeseburger any day.



No comments: